Sunday, June 18, 2006

Shit is the best fertilizer

Like the season of broken hearts as mentioned in an earlier entry, my friends from various circles are also in various stages of 'depression', over various reasons.

I added inverted commas to that word, depression, for they are definitely not going through real depression. Not yet, anyway. I would say they are depressed, but to say they are in a real depression would be a bit of a stretch.

But if they do not work something out soon, they may soon be.

The thing is, shit happens in life, even to the nicest, most decent, more responsible, most intelligent, most disciplined, most careful, most well-adjusted people.

And when I say that, I don't mean it in a bitter way - absolutely not.

Shit is the really the best fertilzer...I cannot stress this enough.

Be it problems at work...a particularly difficult client, a connundrum in terms of advancement...or problems in a relationship, one can learn many lessons from them, even if things don't work out in the end, and become stronger and wiser.

But only if you view shit with the right attitude.

It is perfectly normal and acceptable to express disgust and anger when you suddenly found yourself pushed into a pool of shit.

But what happens after that?

Your situation certainly will not improve if you simply struggle recklessly while spewing vulgarities and visualising horrible deaths for those 'responsible' for your predicament.

Anyway, struggling recklessly will only serve to sink you deeper and faster.

And when you occupy your mind with angry and revengeful or self-pity thoughts, there is no room to start thinking about just how you can extradite yourself from that unpleasant pool like a champ.

Now, having said all that, I have to say that I am not beyond thinking angry and revengeful or self-pitying thoughts when I get thrown in to a pool of shit myself.

It is only human to do that, and I am no saint.

But I have been practising what I am now preaching so far in my life up till now.

And I am happy that I have become stronger and wiser as a result of those pools of shit I sometimes got thrown in, or accidetally fell into either by my own carelessness or a bad stroke of luck.

I must add this disclaimer though: I have no way of predicting how I will react to the next such incident, and I might be a very angry or self-pitying fool who's doomed to be stuck there for a while.

But I know if that happens, I will come to my senses sooner or later.

Life is full of shit...thank goodness for that.











No comments: