Monday, June 19, 2006

I had firecrackers in my ears!

I went for my virgin ear candling session today.

It was a spur-of-the-moment decision after my facial and thus, without having done any research or asking around, I had absolutely no idea what to expect.

And I certainly did not expect to have firecrackers going off in my ears.

It was unnerving alright, but not exactly uncomfortable. The uneasiness stemmed more from the fear of all the cackling and popping sounds that hovered at the top of my head from the burning of the candle rather than from the procedure itself.

In fact, once I got over the shock, it was pretty enjoyable. The therapist got me to tilt my head to lie on my ear and a candle was inserted into the other one. She then lit the candle and all the cackling and popping began. As those were going on, she gently massaged my head and especially the area around my ear, presumably to encourage the gunk to be sucked up.

I did a casual check on google later and there seems to be two general schools of thoughts with regard to ear candling - those who advocate it, and those who are against.

Anyway, I learnt that I am supposed to experience a heightened sense of hearing due to all the gunk that were cleared. Well, it hasn't happened yet, so far.

Next time, I will ask them to do an autopsy on the candle to show me the gunk that came out.

I can't wait!

No comments: