Monday, June 19, 2006

Compliments from client give me wings - but I nearly got branded as a bimbo!

Hang on a second.

Let me anchor myself properly before I begin.

You see, I have been working on various jobs of various genres for this particular biggie client ever since I started working for my heavenly-cum-homely company.

Years passed as I try to hone my copywriting skills and tame my brain day after day after day.

Then one fine day, compliments from them started coming my way...obviously, elation is an understatement.

And then it happened.

One member of the client came down for a meeting at my office...and told my colleague she would like to meet me.

My client would like to see the face behind the works and the face in question looked like death warmed over - how nice.

I panicked.

I squealed to the colleague having the meeting with said client, "NOOOOOO...I LOOKED LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT!"

And then I began a mad rush to search for foundation, concealer, toothbrush, toothpaste...

Then I waited.

And waited.

And I saw the client leaving.

My colleague had sent her away, out of kindness for me...I did tell her I would rather not meet her when I looked like a piece of shit, right?

Oh no.

Thankfully, the client reappeared a few moments later to collect some stuff she accidentally left behind, and having clarified my stand with my colleague (out of earshot of the client, of course), I was finally introduced.

Phew.

I was at fault.

I should have watched my words.

I just did not expect to my colleague to take those words quite so seriously. I mean, did she really think I would find it acceptable to turn down a client's request to meet me? Especially when the client did know that I was in the office at the time?

Good thing everything worked out in the end.

And I am happy.

No comments: