Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Funny Valentine

I hated anything to do with mathematics since the day I knew how to count.

Or perhaps since the day I was tasked to memorise those damn timetables.

Or the day I did my first problem sum.

Or the day the I realised I would much prefer playing with words to figuring out what is X if 3X + 1 = 10.

(The answer is 3, by the way. Hurray. And in the unfortunate event I am wrong, do me a favour...don't tell me.)

So you can imagine my surprise (it was shock initially, but I got over that) when I find myself eagerly anticipating the opportunity to work in an extremely figures-intensive industry. It has now gotten to the point when I am enthusiastically soaking up all that I can find on this industry and the details of the work on the Internet, from financial news to transaction formulae and anything in between.

I confess that the initial attraction has everything to do with the monetary prospects.

But the start and progression of this attraction is really not unlike that of a love affair.

You deem a certain type of men as Mr No Ways based on your knowledge of your personality and preferences. And then one of those Mr No Ways appear at a point in your life when you are no longer certain of what you really want anymore, and it doesn't hurt that he look good too, so he becomes Mr Maybe. Soon, even though the initial attraction has been purely physical, he turns into Mr Very Nearly Right when you become genuinely intrigued by his character as you get to know him better...and when you discover that your definition of Mr No Way is archaic anyway, since your personality and preferences have changed quite a fair bit over the years without you consciously realising it.

Like all love affairs, I am not sure right now if I will have the opportunity to explore it further. And if I do, I can't be certain at this stage if it will turn out to be what I really want after all. But well, like all love affairs, you need to just get on with it and give it your best shot again and again and again, before you know if it will end in a split, or total bliss.

I am hoping hard I will at least have a chance to find out ; )

No comments: