Saturday, August 09, 2008

I Heart Singapore


Teared while watching National Day Parade 2008 earlier in the evening.

It's a regular occurence every year.

The difference is, as I did not manage to catch the parade in absolute privacy (that is, within the sanctuary of my room) this year, I was less of a sobbing mess. The tears just sort of rolled around in the socket of my eyes.

Each year, the tears get especially bad when songs like "We Are Singapore" come on...when we are reminded of how we beat the odds by lyrics like "There was a time when people said that Singapore won't make it, but we did/There was a time when trouble seemed too much for us to take, but we did..."

I am just so so so proud of Singapore and all that she has managed to achieve for herself within the short span of a mere 43 years...that's a very young age, for a country. Especially one that is no more than a tiny dot on the world map, and one that is without natural resources of any kind. I am truly glad that I am lucky enough to be born a Singaporean.

Happy Birthday, Singapore!




1 comment:

Thaddeus Gunn said...

Hiya. I'm wandering around checking out the blogs of other other copywriters like myself. I wanted to find out what copywriters write when they're not writing copy.

For the sake of introduction, here's my professional life in a nutshell: 20 years in copywriting; currently Senior Copywriter for MRM Worldwide (McCann-Erickson), Seattle. Private life: I write. I hike. I blog: www.deargregory.com.